What should you know before trying kratom powder?
Kratom powder originates from Mitragyna speciosa leaves, which are native to Southeast Asia. Kratom is popular in the West due to its stimulating and sedating effects. Kraatom’s popularity is growing, so educate yourself before using it.
What is kratom powder?
A fine powder is made from the dried and ground leaves of the kratom tree. Mostly mitragynine and 7-hydroxy mitragynine make up kratom’s active compounds. A low dose of Kratom has stimulant effects, while a high dose has sedative effects. The plant has been used for centuries in Southeast Asia for both its stimulant and sedative properties. The West sells kratom powder online or in specialty stores. It is found in green, red, or white vein varieties, which refers to the color of the leaf veins and stems before grinding. Different color veins provide different balances of stimulant versus sedative effects.
How is kratom powder used?
Kratom powder can be consumed as a tea, added to foods or drinks, or taken as capsules. Traditionally, kratom powder is brewed into tea. After steeping for 10-15 minutes, strain the powder out. The flavor is unpleasant enough that many people mask it with yogurt or smoothies. Another common method is ingesting kratom powder in capsules or pills. It allows precise dose measurement and avoids the unpleasant taste. But capsules take longer for the body to digest and absorb. An empty stomach is the best time to drink kratom tea.
What are the effects of kratom powder?
Different individuals, doses, vein colors, and other factors influence kratom effects. The stimulant properties of kratom provide energy, sociability, and alertness. Kratom has more sedative effects at higher doses, causing analgesia (pain relief) and euphoria.
- Stimulant effects: Increased energy, elevated mood, sociability, alertness
- Analgesic effects: Pain relief, muscle relaxation
- Sedative effects: Euphoria, calmness, drowsiness
The effects typically begin within 10-15 minutes of ingestion and last 2-5 hours. Green and white vein kratom strains tend to be more stimulating, while red vein strains have a calming effect. However, there is considerable variation between different batches of kratom powder. The effects and appropriate dose are not entirely predictable.
Like any substance, kratom powder does come with some risks and potential side effects. These include:
- Nausea, stomach pain, vomiting: Occurs frequently at moderate to high doses. Generally resolves within an hour. Can be avoided by taking kratom on a full stomach.
- Constipation: Frequent kratom use leads to constipation. Stay well hydrated and eat a high fiber diet.
- Respiratory depression: Very rare, but high doses may affect breathing. Never mix kratom with other drugs or medications.
- Dependence and withdrawal: Frequent kratom use potentially leads to dependence and discontinuation may cause withdrawal symptoms. Do not take kratom daily for prolonged periods.
- Liver problems: Rare cases of liver toxicity have been linked to kratom use when combined with other substances. Avoid combining with medications or drugs.
- Psychosis: In extremely rare cases, high doses of kratom may cause psychosis, aggression, hallucinations, delusions, etc. Use the lowest effective dose.
The risks of kratom powder are quite low when used responsibly at moderate doses. Nevertheless, you should treat it with respect and care.